Saturday, May 19, 2007

18.05.2007 - Day To Die For

Today I lived the best day ever on this side of Atlantic ocean. I am speechless, it was totally mind blowing day! At least I can still write. :) No, we did not see any tornado, we did not even chase! Guess what, I got to see Devil's Tower! I can just say, I've never seen anything so beautiful and mesmerizing. I always wanted to see the DT (I guess I was a bit pushy in the last 2 days as I wanted to see DT and we were soooo close all the time :D ) but I did not expect it to be such an emotional visit, not even in my wildest dreams. I think none of the guys regrets the visit, even though some were already there.

We went right to the end of the road (there is $10 fee per car, cheap if you ask me) and I immediately took off towards the boulders at the foothills of the DT. The sight of this amazing and enormous vertical tower is just astounding! I "climbed" a bit higher towards the vertical pillars just to try to suck in all the majesty of the tower. There were also climbers in W and E walls of the tower, quite a sight. The pillars on the W side, of which the tower seems to be made of, are enormous, vertical and very smooth, on the E side they are not so smooth. I guess the climbing is way easier on the E side.

While walking back to the car I heard some screaming/singing but I never thought I'd live the day to see that. On the boulder on the foothills of the tower an Indian sang in his native language. I was sitting on the bench, looking at the top of the tower over which the eagles were constantly gliding, listening to the bird chirping and Indian song(s) and drum - I seriously got a feeling that time stopped there! I could sit there forever and not a second would go by! This is something which can not be expressed by words alone. One has to experience such events to truly understand why I was so overwhelmed. The fact that I run out of the memory cards for my digital camera says a lot and I am not trigger happy, but DT was just an exception. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

And for the dessert, for the icing on the cake, when driving back from DT we stopped to try and catch some bolts from not so distant storms. What followed was spectacular show which was totally unexpected. The cell was very electrified and CGs were amazing. I caught some pretty nice bolts and I was really happy for all of us that we got something to bite in after the severe weather drought for almost 2 weeks.

This was a DAY TO DIE FOR! You can see why over here.

No comments: